Serves: 8 servings | Prep time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Cool Runnings vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Cool Runnings ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Cool Runnings ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon Cool Runnings ground allspice
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup brandy or rum (optional)
1. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks until they are pale yellow. Gradually add the sugar, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, beating well after each addition.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and cream over medium heat until it is hot but not boiling. Gradually add the hot milk mixture to the egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly.
3. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not let the mixture boil.
4. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the brandy or rum, if using. Let the mixture cool completely.
5. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the cooled eggnog mixture.
6. Chill the eggnog in the refrigerator until it is cold, at least 1 hour. Serve the eggnog in glasses, garnished with a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg, if desired.