Serves: 16 | Preparation time: 35 minutes | Cooking time: 25 minutes + chilling
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup canola oil or British Class coconut oil
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cool Runnings coconut extract
- ½ teaspoon Cool Runnings vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Cool Runnings almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 11 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 4 -1/3 teaspoons Cool Runnings coconut extract
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 325°. In another large bowl, beat sugar, butter and oil until well blended. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in coconut and extracts.
4. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
5. Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
6. For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and extract; beat until smooth.
7. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting and sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Refrigerate for 2 hours before cutting. Store in the refrigerator.