Servings: 4 servings | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 2h 10 minutes
- 1kg chopped oxtail
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp. Cool Runnings all purpose seasoning
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 3 tbsp. British Class green seasoning
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 small carrot chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp. British Class coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1-2 scotch bonnet pepper
- 4-6 cups lukewarm water
1. In some cool water, clean oxtail with 1 lemon and 1 tbsp. vinegar and drain ensuring to remove any excess fat around the oxtail, as this will lengthen the cook time.
2. Season with salt, black pepper, 2 tbsp. green seasoning, all-purpose seasoning and mix until combined fully. Cover and allow oxtail to marinate overnight or up to two hours in the fridge.
3. In a clean pot, add 1 tbsp. oil and sugar and allow to caramelize on low to medium heat for 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally until dark brown. Add and stir in your seasoned oxtail and cover for 2 minutes
4. After 2 minutes, stir and allow any liquid to dry up before adding your 4 cups of water. Stir, then add your ketchup, thyme and 1 scotch bonnet pepper. Cook on low heat for 1 hour 45 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. When the oxtails are soft, add in your carrots, 1 tbsp. of green seasoning, and 1 scotch bonnet pepper. Check for salt. If water content is low, add 1-2 cups of lukewarm water. Simmer for 15 minutes on low heat.
6. Turn off your heat and allow the oxtails to sit covered on the stove for five minutes before serving. Serve with a side of coconut rice and lentils and fried plantains.