For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 small cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g/14oz cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp Cool Runnings thyme leaf
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp Cool Runnings oregano
- 1 tsp Cool Runnings parsley flakes
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp British Class demerara style brown sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
For the vegetables:
- 1 Eggplant
- 2 Zucchini
- 2 red peppers, de-seeded
- 2 garlic gloves, peeled
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- parmesan cheese (optional)
1. For the sauce, heat the oil in a pan. Add the onions and fry until soft but not browned. Add the garlic and fry for one minute.
2. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about an hour.
3. For the vegetables, preheat the oven to 180C/355F.
4. Chop the zucchini, eggplant and red peppers into 2.5cm/1in pieces and place in a roasting tin with the whole garlic cloves. Drizzle with the olive oil and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix the vegetables to coat in the olive oil. Roast in the oven, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes, or until soft turning golden. Add the tomatoes to the roasting tin for the last 20 minutes of cooking time.
5. When ready to serve, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Drain the pasta well and stir through the sauce.
6. Divide evenly among four serving plates and top with the roasted vegetables. Grate over the parmesan cheese and serve with crusty bread or bruschetta on the side.