Yields: 4 servings| Preparation time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 can Governor's Choice Ackee
- 8 oz salted codfish (saltfish)
- 2 tablespoons British Class Coconut Oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Cool Runnings scotch bonnet pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Cool Runnings allspice ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Cool Runnings black pepper ground
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 green onions, chopped
1. Begin by preparing the salted codfish. Rinse it under cold water to remove excess salt. Then, boil it for about 15-20 minutes until it's tender. Drain the water and flake the codfish into small pieces.
2. Heat Cool Runnings Coconut Oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Add chopped onions, bell pepper, and garlic to the skillet. Sauté for about 3-5 minutes until they start to soften.
4. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, scotch bonnet pepper sauce, allspice powder, black pepper and sprigs of thyme. Cook for another 3-4 minutes until the tomatoes release their juices.
5. Add the flaked salted codfish to the skillet. Stir everything together and let it cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
6. Gently fold in the ackee and green onions. Be careful not to over-stir to avoid mashing the ackee.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the thyme sprigs.
8. Serve hot with fried dumplings, boiled green bananas, or your favorite side dish.