- 3 lbs, chicken pieces, skinned
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- 2 cups of Cool Runnings coconut milk
- 2 cups parboiled rice
- 1½ cups of cooked Cool Runnings pigeon peas
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped sweet or pimento peppers
- 2 tbsp. British Class green seasoning
- 1 tbsp. ketchup
- 2-3 tbsp. of British Class brown sugar
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 whole hot pepper with the stem
- salt and pepper
1. Season chicken with salt, pepper, green seasoning, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and ketchup.
2. Heat oil in a large heavy iron pot or skillet.
3. Add sugar and allow to burn until brown.
4. Add seasoned chicken and stir until pieces are well coated with burnt sugar; brown for 5 minutes.
5. Add rice and turn often until well mixed. Cook for 3 minutes more.
6. Add onion, sweet peppers and peas and cook for a few minutes, stirring a few times.
7. Add salt, hot pepper, coconut milk and broth. Bring to the boil, lower heat, cover and simmer until rice is cooked and all liquid is evaporated (about 25-30 minutes).
8. Add more liquid if rice is still hard and continue to cook for a few more minutes.