Serves: 6 | Preparation time: 25 minutes | Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup light molasses
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons British Class baking soda
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons Cool Runnings ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon Cool Runnings ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Cool Runnings vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
1. Take a small saucepan and heat up the molasses and butter until almost boiling. Once boiled, remove from heat and let the mixture cool a little and stir in the baking soda, milk and egg.
2. In a large bowl, sift the flour, ginger, cinnamon and salt together. Make a hole in the center and pour in the molasses mixture. Mix together well.
3. Spray a non-stick cooking spray onto a preheated waffle iron. Pour mixture into the hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown.
4. Serve with hot chocolate sauce.
5. For the chocolate sauce: Take a saucepan and combine the water, sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt. Cook in medium heat, stirring often until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from the heat and add vanilla extract and butter, stir until smooth.