Servings: 12-16 servings | Prep time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 60 minutes
- 2 pounds chopped dried mixed fruit
- 1lb butter or margarine, softened
- 1lb dark brown sugar
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1lb flour
- 2 tsps of Cool Runnings vanilla extract
- 2 tsps of British Class baking powder
- 2 tsps of British Class baking soda
- 2 tsps burnt sugar
- 1 tsps of Cool Runnings cinnamon ground
- 1 tsps of Cool Runnings nutmeg ground
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Take a large mixing bowl and cream the butter and sugar together. Add two eggs at a time and mix well with each addition. Repeat with all dozen eggs. Add vanilla extract and burnt sugar
2. In another bowl, sift all the dry ingredients together, the baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg! Add the dry ingredients slowly into the large bowl with the wet mixture and mix well.
3. Add about two cups of the fruit mixture into the bowl and mix well. Pour the mixture into a well-greased and floured cake tin (s).
4. Bake the cake in the oven at 350 °F for about an hour, the knife should come out clean when inserted into the middle.
5. Do not remove the cake from the tin, and let cake cool. Optional: For the traditional Jamaican recipe, pour some rum over the cake and cover tightly with aluminum foil.