Serves: 4 servings | Prep time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (15-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 c. long grain rice
- 6 oz. andouille sausage, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 c. low-sodium chicken stock (substitute with Cool Runnings chicken bouillon cubes )
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. of Cool Runnings cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp. of Cool Runnings oregano
- Salt and pepper
1. Heat up some oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and bell peppers to the pan and season it with some salt and pepper. Let the onion and bell pepper cook for 5 minutes, and add the chicken. Season the chicken with some salt, pepper and oregano and let cook until golden (another 5 minutes).
2. Stir in the andouille sausage, garlic, and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, when you start to smell the fragrant.
3. Add chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, rice and Cajun seasoning to the pan. Reduce the heat to a medium low, and cover tightly with a lid, let the rice cook until it is tender and the liquid is mostly absorbed (about 20 minutes)
4. Add the shrimp and cook until it is pink and no longer transparent, 3 - 5 minutes.
5. Stir in green onions just before serving!