Serves: 12 servings | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, skin removed and cut into pieces
- 4 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 2 quarts water
- 5 sprigs cilantro
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 small green chile peppers
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons British Class garam masala
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 1 tablespoon Cool Runnings turmeric ground
- 4 pods Cool Runnings whole green cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pod black cardamom
- 1 Cool Runnings cinnamon stick
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat up the olive oil on a large skillet over medium heat. Mix in the yogurt and vinegar into the pan. Cook the onion in the skillet, until it is tender. Throw the garlic, ginger paste, green chili peppers, and tomatoes into the pan and cook until the tomatoes are also tender. Season with garam masala, some turmeric (optional) mint, salt and pepper and cilantro.
2. Place the deskinned chicken in the skillet. Reduce the heat to a medium-low, cover the skillet and let cook for another 45 minutes, remember to stir occasionally, until the chicken juices run clear.
3. In another large pot, bring the water and basmati rice to a boil. Mix in the bay leaf, green cardamom, black cardamom, and cinnamon stick. Season the rice with some salt to taste. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to a low and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. In another pot, alternate the rice and chicken mixture in layers, ending with a layer of rice on top. Mix to serve.